It’s holiday time and I find there’s no better way to get into the spirit than to create (and eat!) savory, spicy and sweet treats.
This recipe is adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. This is an amazing and fun cookbook that has quite a few variations for this delicious cupcake, so check it out.
Vanilla, Chocolate or Carob Peppermint Cupcakes
Makes about one dozen
Whisk and set aside:
- 1 c soymilk
- 1 t cider vinegar
Mix and then add soymilk. Blend well.
- 1/3 c canola oil
- 3/4 c organic turbinado or cane sugar
- 2 T ground flaxseed
- 2-1/4 t vanilla extract
Sift together into wet mixture and blend:
- 1-1/4 c organic all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
* If you want chocolate or carob cupcakes now’s the time to add 1/3 cup sifted cocoa powder or 1/3 cup of carob powder to the mixture.
Pour mixture into paper-lined muffin cups, 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes.
- 3/4 c. vegan margarine ( I like Earth Balance the best)
- 2 c. organic confectioner’s powdered sugar
Cream ingredients, by hand or with a high speed mixer, for several minutes until smooth, light and fluffy.
- 2-8 T soymilk
Add 1/4 tsp vanilla and a few drops (to taste) of peppermint flavor (I like Frontier Natural Flavors best)